Friday, April 26, 2013

What next?

I want to be honest with people about the journey, and the emotional roller coaster that I am sure we are about to jump on . I hope that by being honest about my feelings, fears, confusion and doubts, that it will help someone else not feel so alone if they ever decide to adopt. I am so fortunate to have the best support system in the world. People who are eager to hear every detail of the process, people who encourage, advise, guide and pray for us. People who will listen to every question, fear and moment of excitement.  Our families are nothing less than supportive, and our friends are behind us all the way.

 That being said, I wanted to update everyone on how our orientation class went. I wish I had some solid answer to this! I honestly feel more confused after the class, and I know this is just the beginning, so I'm sure this is normal. I know that our Creator holds all of the answers, even when it seems so unclear to me. As many times as I say this, and as many times as it's said to me, it is hard for me let go of control. The fear of the unknown can be crippling at times, and it doesn't have to be. God is ALL knowing and has a perfect plan, so why is it so hard to let Him handle it? This is an area where He needs to work on me for sure :) 

When we started reading and learning about adoption, and exploring all of the different avenues, we thought we had a clear vision on how to go about it. We knew from the get go that we wanted to do a domestic adoption. We thought that a private adoption would be too costly, and that we wouldn't be able to raise the funds to pay for it. So we quickly pushed that aside. Then, we thought we would adopt from foster care, thinking that we could get a baby (under 1 year of age) this way. It is very low cost (or even free), and there are a few incentives from the state when  you go this route. The child gets free medical care, free dental care, the adoptive family gets monthly stipend, and the child's in state college tuition is paid for. We figured this was the most feasible approach for us financially, so it seemed like a no brainer. Wrong.

We went to Place Of Hope in Palm Beach Gardens for their foster and adoption orientation class. They partner very closely with my church and I have heard great things about them. I was so delighted that it was a faith based child welfare organization and couldn't wait to dive right in! We showed up (10 minutes late, of course) to the class and I was prepared with my notebook to start taking notes. In the first five minutes, we learned that Place Of Hope can no longer process adoptions there due to some contractual changes within the county. They can still place foster children into homes and I believe they can still aid you in adopting from foster care, which was great news to us! That was until we realized that we can't use them as our agency due to the fact that we live in Martin County, and they are in Palm Beach County. DUH. I don't know why I  didn't think of this.

Then he started talking about the average age of children that are up for adoption in the foster care system, and the age is much higher than we anticipated. The average age is 8. There are much younger children in the system, but a lot of times they are attached to a sibling group. At this time, we don't really feel like we are equipped to handle more than one child.  There are obviously other circumstances where there are infants and younger children available, but I get the impression that the infants are placed in a temporary home (foster) and have a long waiting period of investigations before they are available to be permanently placed. Foster adoption was starting to sound like lesser of a clear choice than when we initially started.

He talked about the number of children in Palm Beach County alone that have been removed from their homes. Situations so volatile, that they have to be physically removed.  500 kids at all times are in need of a bed. 500 kids don't know where they are going to be sleeping. Who they will be living with. Who will love them. WOW. The verse Isaiah 1:17 kept coming to mind "Learn to do right; seek justice.  Defend the oppressed. Take up the cause of the fatherless...".

On one hand, I wanted to start my MAPP (Model Approach to Partnership and Parenting, which is required to foster/foster adopt) immediately and take in all 500 kids. The thought of these children feeling hopeless, unloved, used, abused, hurt, terrified, worthless, alone...just breaks my heart. Sitting here typing this, tears welling up in my eyes, I want to reach out and hug each and every one of them. 



On the other hand, I want to start a family with my husband. I still have the desire to bring home a baby, days old and start from there. To raise this child from infancy to adulthood. This is where I feel so conflicted. I feel selfish in so many ways a way, knowing that there are children out there right now that need homes at this very minute. 


It raises so many questions on what route to pursue. Is private adoption really so far out of reach? Is foster adoption still on the table, even if we aren't likely to bring home a baby? Can we just win the lottery and buy a ranch with a 30 bedroom house and take in 60 kids? ;) If only! 


I was able to talk to Jenny this morning for a little bit, and she is a wealth of knowledge and encouragement, so that helped me sort out some thoughts (more than she even realizes!). Jenny is a mama to 5 (3 biological and 2 adorable adopted twins) and she gave me some great contacts and a place to start locally. I would love some prayer for guidance and clarity as we attempt to move forward  :)

5 comments:

  1. First of all ((HUGS))!! I think anyone that goes through the classes and doesn't cry, then there is something wrong. I will continue praying for you and Richard.
    I know after going through the classes I knew foster wasn't the way for us. I am not strong enough to do it, but there are many couples that are amazing with it and look how God blesses them!
    I can only imagine Jenny being a good one to talk to for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bridget!! It is something we will need direction and prayer on for sure :) I think we may take the classes to get a better idea on whether it is for us or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric and I see kids every day who are either being raised in the foster system or by grandparents. It breaks our hearts, there is one little girl, who needs to be an only child and both of us would take her in a minute, but her needs are to great for us, plus we have 4! But, God is not forgetful, He knows what Zippy needs. And he knows what you all need. This is NOT brand new information to Him, it's just new to you. Whether you have a baby in your belly or one growing in your heart, it will be emotional. More than you can imagine! The more informed you are the better. Pray, that God would place someone in your life that has just completed the process and and has already walked these steps to help you all make wise choices
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ericah, I have some stuff to donate ! Where do I drop it off ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy!!! I keep trying to respond but can't seem to get it to go through. You can drop off items to me in Palm City or we would be more than happy to pick them up!!! <3

      Delete