Thursday, June 20, 2013

Application approval, Home Visit and Miracles!

First of all, we got a letter stating that our application was approved! Woohoo! This is just saying they approved our application, and will move forward with our homestudy, not that we are officially "approved" and waiting to be matched. Nontheless, we were thrilled :)

Now, we had our home visit this past Saturday, and we even lived to tell about it! Of course, everyone tells you not to be nervous and that it is no big deal. So I took their advice and didn't worry one bit! I wish that it was that easy! I was nervous, and felt a little overwhelmed leading up to it, but held myself together, for the most part. One mini meltdown was just par for the course in my opinion! I think because we were running around like crazy people trying to pick up donations for our yard sale, organize that stuff, prepare for our home visit, complete paper work, and squeeze in trying to celebrate my mother in laws, father in laws and hubbys birthday, as well as Father's Day, it was just a bit much. Oh yeah, and the work thing.

Anyways, the caseworker showed up right on time and began her inspection. She made us feel so at ease and just kind of looked around and took notes about the set up of our house. Believe it or not, no white glove test! (Which, BTW, we would have passed with flying colors! I don't think my house had ever been that clean! Ha!) That lasted all of about 5 minutes, and then we sat at the table and chatted, went over paperwork, and she gave us our homework (MORE paperwork). A lot of the time was just spent chatting in general, which made us feel so much more comfortable. She was there around 2 and a half hours, but it didn't seem like it was that long at all. She told us that we gave her some ideas about how she wants to remodel her home in NY, and that she wanted me to decorate. I'm sure they are trained to say this sort of thing to put you at ease, but it made me feel better, so I'll take it :) Of course, Misty (our dog) decided that it would be a prime time to vomit all over the floor. Poor pup! Richard cleaned it up right away and the caseworker seemed amused by it. Hey, one thing had to go not according to plan, and I guess this was it. Oh well, no biggie!

 
I can't even express the gratitude we have for all of the people who have donated items for our yard sale. We have more than we could have imagined, and it is so humbling to be on the receiving end of this. I can not thank everyone enough for their donations, and I have been trying to stay on top of thank you cards, so I hope I haven't missed anyone! Bear with me :) 


My friends have been collecting, and organizing our items. We are hosting it at our good friend Mandie's house, and thankfully for me, God made her OCD and she has been organizing this mountain of items like a crazy person! She just can't help herself, and I'm not gonna fight her on it! Our other friends have been troopers, braving the heat of the garage to deal with our mountain as well. I don't know what I would do without their help! Thankful doesn't seem to even describe it!

I have made it known that our belief is that this journey we are on is a total God thing. This was never something that was part of "our plan", but God planted this seed and we are going at it full of faith that He will make a way, even when there seems to be no way! I can't even describe the feeling of watching and knowing that God is moving in big ways to make His plan come to life. I don't like this to be all about money, because at the end of the day, this is about bringing a child into a forever home and expanding our family. BUT, I just have to share the way that God has led people to give in ways we never would have imagined.

We set up a savings account designated for adoption funds only. We raised $412, through loose saving loose change and a side job or two, before we mailed our application. Our application fee was $400. We paid that, and had $12 left over in that account. We were hoping that the yard sale would raise enough to pay for part of our homestudy. That fee is $1,800. Well, in the past two weeks, that account has gone from $12 to over $1,400!!! And we haven't even held our yard sale.  One very generous couple has felt that God has led them to give their tithe money to us while they are currently between churches. Someone else cashed in an investment, and out of that, gave us an extremely generous donation. Others have mailed checks and put cash in the jar that sits on the counter at the salon.  God's provision is perfect and He is faithful! 


This past weekend at church, Pastor Todd spoke about miracles. He talked about how sometimes God takes us the long way around, because that will make our miracle all the more rich. He teaches us lessons along the way, puts people in our paths that we would have never come across otherwise, and helps us form our testimony. He talked about how we need not to despise the journey, because during that time, we come to know Jesus in a way we never would have experienced otherwise.  He said "Sometimes the greatest disappointments in life are just a setting for the biggest miracle of your life." WOW. WOW. I just had to share that because I feel like it is so fitting to our story. And so many other stories of people who are on all walks of life and going through all different things. I am posting a link to his sermon, and I highly encourage you to watch it. It was a perspective I hadn't thought of before. 

Pastor Todd on Miracles <---- Enjoy :)

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy things are coming along well. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite blog update yet. You are demonstrating God's love in real time, my friend! He is working in your life so visibly that I get goosebumps daily just thinking about it. I'm so happy that God put you and the rest of the gang in my life last year. And I'm so thankful that He led us to our church last year...what great "timing" that our friendship and our church provided a stable foundation for such a time as this...what more could you need to see that you have more support than you could ever ask for? Not to mention your family who has shown you their support in astounding ways. You are a loved child of God...and this is just the beginning!

    Love you!
    Your biggest cheerleader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandie, I tried to reply to this before, but will try again. Thank you again for everything, and without your (and everyones) support, we could never do this!! You are the best! Thanks for always being a fabulous cheerleader <3

      Delete