We got married about 2 and a half years ago, after over 4 years together... landing us at 7 and a half
We came to the agreement that we did not want to pursue any medical treatment whatsoever. I sincerely commend people who go that route, but just like adoption, it isn't for everyone. I will never forget my husbands response when I asked him what we would do if we weren't going to pursue medical treatments, and we didn't get pregnant on our own. He said so nonchalantly "We will adopt. If we don't get pregnant on our own, then maybe God has a baby out there for us that needs us for their parents." (swoon). For some reason, his response caught me off guard. He said it like it had been the obvious choice all along. I let my own fears and doubts cloud my decision making. Right then and there, I could feel God working in my heart. He began to soften the edges, and remove the anxiety and disappointment of my un-pregnantness (like that fancy word I made up?). I started to not feel so alone. I started to have hope. I began to realize that just because we may not be able to conceive a child with our genetics, doesn't mean that child would be any less "ours". I began to realize that I can love a child that isn't biologically "ours". I began to realize that a pregnancy lasts 9 months, while the blessing of being a parent lasts a lifetime. I stopped focusing on the pregnancy part of becoming a mom, and started focusing on the parenting part of having children.
Over the last 6 months, God has really laid it on our hearts to really start pursuing this adoption option :) We both feel that this is the direction that He wants us to explore, so we will follow. It is scary, exciting, terrifying, hopeful...but we know that our God is faithful, He is GOOD, and He knows our child already. He knows the HOW and He knows the WHEN.
"For you created my inmost being, you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be " Pslam 139: 13-16
Hannah said, “Excuse me, sir. Would you believe that I’m the very woman who was standing before you at this very spot, praying to God? I prayed for this child, and God gave me what I asked for. And now I have dedicated him to God. He’s dedicated to God for life.”
ReplyDeleteThen and there, they worshiped God.
Samuel 1 26:27
Love you!
Love this and love YOU!! Thank you!!!
DeleteYours is a noble journey and so I wish you Godspeed. My sister went through three IVFs and then they adopted almost 11 years ago when she was 49 and her husband was 58 (he has two 30-something daughters from a prior marriage). She called me the second day of Hailey's life and said, "She's so perfect. I didn't have to go through all of that."
ReplyDeleteYou will receive the perfect baby and be the best parents when that occurs. Take the time to get fit and healthy so that you can keep up with your child. Dream up the perfect room. All will happen when the right child comes along for the two of you.
A chance meeting in a cafe and I have been blessed with such a sweet friend. You just never know.
Wow...THANK YOU! I am so happy we met that day, and I appreciate your kind words and wisdom :)
DeleteBeautifully written. Touching. Encouraging. Can't wait to see where this journey leads you <3
ReplyDeleteLove you Meg!!!
DeleteSo eloquently written, Ericah. I'm glad you are taking the time to document your journey....but I'm even more ecstatic that you are TAKING THE JOURNEY! What a wonderful way to chronicle the love and determination you had during the early stages of the adoption process. Your son or daughter will one day read this blog and realize just how much you loved them, even before you met them. I'm still your biggest cheerleader. Keep writing...you have a gift.
ReplyDeleteYou'll never know how much your encouragement means to me and how blessed I am to have such a sweet friend! Love you!!
DeleteI'm so excited and happy for you! Looking forward to being adoption momma's together!
ReplyDeleteYou don't even realize what an instrumental role your story has played into giving me the push we needed to step out and move forward! You really are an inspiration to me and have helped me feel like it isn't some far off, unattainable dream. I appreciate it more than you will ever know! And of course, thank you for the books :) I will get them back to you one of these days!!
DeleteWords cannot express how proud I am of you and Richard...for talking about it, for sharing it...but mostly for following God's path and being obedient to His plan for your lives.
ReplyDeleteI know this will be the most rewarding experience of your life...and that will make it worth all of the hard stuff that came before it. You are one of the most loving, compassionate, nurturing, sincerely caring people I have ever known...and as someone who knows what it's like to have a mother like that, I can say with 100% certainty that this baby will be blessed beyond measure.
I will be here for you every step of the way and will continue to pray for direction, patience...and mostly that Richard's annoying habits are generic and not learned behaviors (please, God!!!).
My bad...couldn't make it all mushy :)
Love you!!
*GENETIC
DeleteAnd I don't know why it has my name as JB...lame.
Thanks for making me cry...AGAIN!!! To even be compared to your mom is the highest honor imaginable! This baby will be blessed to have YOU as an Auntie!
DeleteHahaha we can only hope!!!
I raised you, and know what a wonderful, giving person you have become. I also know you married an amazing, giving, man. My Grandbaby will have all the benefits of the love you share with all you come in contact with. You have been blessed in so many ways by so many wonderful people, and that love will pass on to your new family. I am so very happy you are on this journey. I am with you every! single! step! of the way. I love you, Mom
DeleteThank you Mama!!! I had a great example of how to be a good mom :) I love you!!!
DeleteEricah, what courage it takes to share such a personal struggle! I understand the heartache that comes with trying to convince and taking longer than most. It took us 17 months of HARD trying to convince Carter. And there were no medical set backs for either of us. I understand the hardest question.. ''why?''. You have a great marriage, healthy home, supportive family, good careers, and love love love.. So why not you?
ReplyDeleteI'm a huge believer that God's timing is NEVER a mistake. Close your eyes and ears and open your heart. When your full trust is in our ultimate creator, your dream will come true! What ever way gods path takes you, I know in the end you will have a sweet baby that will be YOURS to love on forever!!!
Thank you for sharing and I'm so excited to follow your journey!!! Xoxox
Wonder why it didn't post my name when I signed in.. Oh well
DeleteLove, Mandy Burch
Thank you Mandy!! I love what you said, "close your eyes and ears, and listen to your heart"...I believe that is how God speaks to us, so I love that reminder <3
Delete