Sunday, August 25, 2013

Progress! Lots of progress!

First things first! WE ARE OFFICIAL! We got our Homestudy packet in the mail on Thursday telling us that we are approved! It was basically a summary of every reference letter, meeting, test, background check and home inspection that we have endured over the past few months (3 months and one day, to be exact). The feeling of joy overwhelmed me when I opened that envelope. I was on the phone with my sister when I checked the mail, and I told her I got an envelope from them, and when I opened it, I immediately started crying. I imagine the feeling was a little like seeing a positive pregnancy test. So we cried together a little, and I hung up with her to call Richard. His response was typical Richard...he said "Cool...when does the baby come? Tomorrow?"...if only :) So now we could literally get a call any day...could be tomorrow, or it could be next year...there is just no way to tell. God knows when and how. He knows our baby already, and He is always on time. I'm sure a lot of people say this to waiting adoptive parents, but I've had countless people tell me that they really think it won't be long. I keep getting the feeling that it will be before Christmas, but I am trying with all i have in me to not get too excited not getting my hopes up. 


I guess that approval letter lit a fire under Richard, because last night (yes, we've turned into that couple) we spent 2.5 hours at Home Depot. We had a super exciting Saturday night. We picked out carpet, bead board, a light fixture, blinds and PAINT! Which is clearly my favorite part! We got home around 9:30, and he started watching a movie, so I thought for sure that he was done for the night. So I decided to go to bed. When we woke up this morning, he told me to go check in the "guest room" (I guess now we can call it the nursery?) for something. I went in, and found that he had painted! Evidently, he stayed up until 4:30 in the morning to finish! The colors came out exactly as I had imagined! My best friend's step mom, Pam, is super talented and is making us a crib set with bumpers and a blanket. I told her a very basic version of what I had in mind, and she sent me a few sample ideas, which were even better than I imagined. I can't wait to see the finished product! I just know it will be gorgeous, but more importantly, it's being made with love. What a blessing.


On a totally different note, I have sort of big news (no, I'm not pregnant, LOL). I am making a big career change. As much as I love my two jobs, I'm just not making a stable income. I hate that it has to come down to money, but with impending parenthood, it makes you prioritize. I need steady income. All I've known for 8 years is hairdressing. I love it. I love my clients. I love making people feel beautiful. I LOVE my family that I work with at the salon. I have been blessed for years with my clients and my coworkers. I have been praying over our finances, faithfully tithing and trusting that God will make a way for us. I feel like this is the way I am supposed to go, as hard as it is, but I know that financially it is the right thing. It is the break we were praying for. I don't think I've ever had to make a harder decision, and I don't think I've cried more tears over a decision. Tears well up in my eyes as I type this out, but I know it's the right thing to do. There are a lot of factors that go into this decision, aside from finances. I have never worked a "9-5", and this will be that. No more nights and weekends. Which means more time with my husband. Dinners at home before 9 pm. Weekends for family time. I'm not quite sure how I'll adjust to that schedule, because I'm used to so much freedom, but I will keep the goal in mind. The place I am going is a great fit on so many levels. My girls at the salon have been super supportive and are making the transition so much easier. I know my clients are in more than capable hands, so that certainly helps ease my worry. I will take this in stride, remaining grateful for all the years I was blessed with the freedom right when it was needed. I have very mixed emotions as this chapter comes to an end, but I know great things are in store for our (hopefully VERY near) future! 

"Not to us, Lord, not to us
    but to your name be the glory,
    because of your love and faithfulness." 
Psalm 115:1


No comments:

Post a Comment